Potato and Egg Breakfast Tacos
With school starting tomorrow, our house, like many others, will be scrambling in the morning to get the kids out of bed, fed and out of the door. Many studies have shown that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Despite the mad scramble that ensues in the morning, we try and make sure that our kids have some carbs and protein in every breakfast. And so we have come up with combos – Veggie Sausage and Bagels, Veggie Sausage Patties and Waffles, Pancakes and Omelets etc. One of the breakfast items that we often make combines protein and carbs and is a hit with the kids – it is the potato and egg Breakfast Taco.
We live in Texas and one of the best things about the Lone Star state is Tex-Mex food. Quite different from Mexican and Cal-Mex cuisine, Tex-Mex is satisfying and flavorful in a way few cuisines are. And the best part for me, is that it is a vegetarian friendly cuisine.
One of the relatively unknown cast members in the Tex-Mex ensemble, Breakfast Tacos are flavorful and very easy to make, all you need is access to some good flour tortillas (a plug for the Texas chain, Taco Cabana is in order here. They have some of the best flour tortillas you can get. They make them fresh in their stores. You can buy them by the dozen), salsa, pico di gallo, shredded cheese and eggs. Some Tex-Mex spices come in handy if you have them, or you can get by with salt and pepper.
So for all the parents worrying about what to feed their kids in the mornings with limited time, here is a recipe that works quite well.
INGREDIENTS (for 6-8 tacos)
1 Tbsp cooking oil
1 Medium sized Idaho Potato – peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1/2 Medium onion – diced
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp Fajita seasoning (optional)
3-4 eggs (use 3 if you want less eggs or 4 if you want more)
Shredded cheese (Mexican blend or Cheddar)
Fixins’ – Salsa, Sour Cream, Pico di Gallo, Jalapenos etc…
6-8 Flour Tortillas
1. Soak the potatoes in water for a few minutes to get the starch out. If you are pushed for time, just wash the potatoes.
2. Heat the oil in a non-stick saucepan with a lid.
3. Add the onion and fry till it starts to brown.
4. Add the potatoes and spices and mix well.
5. Cover with a lid and let the potatoes cook till they start to brown. TIP: If you are pushed for time, you can nuke the potato cubes before you throw them in with the onions so that they are “pre-cooked”.
6. Break the eggs into the mix and scramble them with the cooked potatoes.
7. Warm the tortillas in the microwave.
8. Scoop a generous portion of potatoes and eggs, add cheese and fixins and you are good to go.
9. Eat and repeat step 8.