If you are going to experiment, be prepared to fail. A lot. And so it was with this particular version of veggie b’s. While not exactly a failure, it wasn’t a resounding success either. The burgers were perfectly edible but not even close to the Veggie Chop inspired Burgers that I make (recipe here). But I am getting ahead of myself. Let’s rewind the tape a little.
It was another day of meal planning and thinking about what to make for dinner. The larder was somewhat low on produce since we hadn’t been to the grocery store recently but there were multiple types of lentils and a potato. So as the saying goes, when life gives you potatoes and lentils, you make veggie burgers. The recipe is below. The good part – they were super easy to put together and healthy. The bad – they were somewhat bland.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 patties)
1/4 cup Toor Daal (Pigeon Peas)
1/4 cup Chana Daal (Split Peas)
1/4 cup washed Mung Daal
1/4 cup Green Lentils (Masoor with skin)
1 medium potato
For the masala
1 dry Red Chili
1 Tbsp Coriander seeds
1 Tbsp Cumin seeds
1 Tbsp Fennel seeds
1 tsp Black Peppercorns
1 inch stick of cinnamon
Salt to taste
Oil to pan fry the patties
- Boil the Daals and the Potato till cooked. I used a pressure cooker.
- Dry roast the masala (without the salt) and grind to a powder.
- Mash the Daals, peeled potato and the masala. Add salt to taste.
- Break and incorporate an egg into the mash (to hold the patties together).
- Make patties about 3 inches in diameter, cover with breadcrumbs, pan fry and you are done!