Last Sunday we decided quite at that last minute that we will eat at home and didn’t want to go out. My wife makes a mean Risotto and our younger daughter had been craving it. I, on the other hand, had recently acquired a baking steel (check out the website here) that I was itching to use. Plus, Greenling had just delivered a batch of fresh Arugula. Since the stars seemed to align, we agreed to make a meal with
Mushroom Risotto (recipe here)
Arugula Salad with Tomato, Pear, Candied Walnuts, Goat Cheese and Balsamic Vinaigrette (recipe below)
Garlic-Rosemary Foccacia – surprising easy to make, though I burned it this time with my new equipment (recipe below)
INGREDIENTS – for the Arugula Salad – approximate
Arugula – washed
Tomato – small cherry tomatoes are best – halved
Pear – cut into bite sized pieces
Candied Walnuts – a handful. Really easy to do at home or you can buy them in the store. I will post a video on how to do it at some point.
Balsamic Vinaigrette – 1 portion balsamic vinegar and three portions Extra Virgin Olive Oil – shake vigorously in a bottle to emusify
1. Toss everything except the vinaigrette together.
2. Add vinaigrette to taste.
INGREDIENTS for Foccacia – below is a very approximate recipe. I will post something more detailed later.
2 cups bread flour – you need this because of the high gluten content
1/2 tsp active dry yeast
1/2 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
Some Olive Oil
3-4 garlic cloves – minced
Some rosemary chopped
1. Warm some water in a bowl and mix in the sugar and yeast.
2. Wait for the yeast to bubble.
3. Mix in the flour and make dough. Add some garlic and olive oil.
4. Really work the dough.
5. Cover with a cling wrap for an hour or two till it rises.
6. Stretch it out in a rectangle.
7. Brush some Olive Oil on top. Sprinkle sea salt and rosemary.
8. Bake on a preheated Baking Steel or Stone for a short time (you’ll have to monitor it to make sure it doesn’t burn) – 4-7 mins.
9. Take it out and enjoy.