Many years back on a business trip to San Francisco I had some time to kill. Like many others, I headed over to Fisherman’s Wharf and Ghirardelli Square. After having the obligatory dessert at the Ghirardelli store I picked up a copy of “The Ghirardelli Chocolate Cookbook”.
Over the years I have made many desserts from this tome. One of the best has been the Double Chocolate Hazelnut Biscotti which has become a favorite in the foodydoody household and one that we make every year around the holidays.
Super easy to make, this one is lipsmacking good. Enjoy and perhaps this will become your holiday tradition as well.
INGREDIENTS (for about 48 biscotti)
2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup Sweet Ground Chocolate and Cocoa
4 oz Semi- Sweet Chocolate finely chopped
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cut hazelnuts (filberts) coarsely chopped
1. In a food processor put everything except for the eggs, vanilla and hazelnuts.
2. Pulse a few times till the ingredients are mixed and the mixture has even consistency.
3. Add the eggs one at a time with the processor running and the vanilla extract. The dough should form.
4. At this point – I hand mix the hazelnuts on a lightly floured surface.
5. Divide the dough into four and roll out into logs about 1 1/4 inches X 10 inches.
6. Bake at 350F in a preheated oven for about 25-30 minutes till the logs are firm to the touch.
7. Remove the logs and cool till they can be handled. Cut into 1 inch wide cookies.
8. In the meantime, reduce the over temperature to 300F.
9. Take an oven rack spread the cookies out on it and bake on the top shelf in the oven for 20-25 minutes till crisp.
10. Cool the cookies and enjoy.