Every time I visit India now I am blown away by how good the food is. Being a country of foodies, even airline food rocks. The best part is that even on domestic flights, there are meal options (though on discount airlines you have to buy the meals). On my flight from Bangalore to Delhi, I noticed that among the many veggie sandwiches on offer were
- A Spinach and Corn sandwich
- A Paneer with Tomato Gravy sandwich
- Mushrooms, Baby Corn and Olive Sandwich
Though I didn’t try any of them, I was quite intrigued by the combinations. So with some recently acquired local fresh spinach sitting in the fridge, when the picky daughter asked what she will have for lunch the next day, we decided to brainstorm. We started off with the spinach and remembering the spinach/corn combo, decided to throw in the corn as well. I threw in some onion and garlic, and because my kids like the Chipotle Southwestern Dressing at Subway, we threw a variation of that in there as well. All in all, it turned out to be a very satisfying sandwich.
Since I was clearly winging it, there is no recipe. Below is a general guideline of what I came up with.
- Heated some oil and fried some finely chopped onion and garlic till the onion turned transparent.
- Threw in spinach and corn kernels. Cooked till the spinach had wilted.
- Salt and pepper for seasoning.
- Mixed it all with some olive oil mayo, honey, chipotle seasoning and shredded cheddar cheese.
- Spread it thick on whole wheat bread and we were done.